My name is Debbie Winterbourne. I am a qualified Gestalt psychotherapist, teacher and couples therapist.
I am based in Greenwich, SE London.
I hold five degrees including a Masters Degree in Gestalt Psychotherapy (MSc) and a first class degree in psychology (BSc).
I am registered as a member with UKCP (UK Council for Psychotherapy), a national register of psychotherapists of those who meet exacting standards and training requirements.
I am also trained and/or qualified in the following methods of couples counselling:
- A fully qualified Imago Relationship Therapist;
- Trained in Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy;
- Trained in and a graduate of The Couples Institute.
I also qualified as a solicitor in 1991 and hold an undergraduate degree in law together with a Masters Degree in Public International Law.
I hold a certificate in teaching in Adult Education.
Couples counselling is my specialist area. I have worked with hundreds of couples from all different types of cultures and orientations for many years.
Professional Training for Counsellors
Most counselling training programmes offer little no information on how to work with couples. Yet couple work is very different from working with individuals, and it is imperative to have learn the basics of how to facilitate a couple session.
I offer a full introductory programme of training in how to excel as a couples counsellor. The course is four days long spread over two weekends one month apart. The course runs three times per year.
The location is Greenwich, SE London, very close to Greenwich DLR station.
Or if you would like me to run the training at your place, just let me know.
The course is integrative in nature, and the ethical issues of couples counselling are also covered in detail to enable you to be a very capable practitioner. This course weaves threads of:
- Psychodynamic – understanding how the unconscious attraction process works, and recognising childhood wounds of your partner;
- Systemic – looking at the particular dynamic of disconnection in the relationship; how each partner moves in the ‘dance’;
- Gestalt – working with intra psychic conflict in each partner;
- Humanistic – working with dialogue and empathy between the couple;
- Attachment – understanding attachment wounds of each partner and how this impacts current relationship;
- Behavioural – working out self-change goals for each partner and holding a future vision of what the relationship may be.
For more information, click on the Training page.
“I enjoyed and found Deborah’s anecdotal accounts really useful. They gave me much to think about. The really thorough treatment of ethics was most beneficial.” (Katrina Pitts)
“A lovely balance of learning through a variety of methods. Very interactive and felt like a safe learning environment. A very enabling approach by Debbie, acknowledging all participants’ experiences. A good acknowledgement of different learning styles.” (Margaret Headland; Headland Therapy).
“You saved our relationship, and as a consequence our family, by teaching us tools that helped solve problems and conflicts we were struggling with for years.
We would not have been able to do this on our own – we did try.
Our relationship and life has improved tremendously as a result, we are extremely grateful.”
Teresa & Jeff, New York
I found the couples counselling very useful. It helped me realise & understand the main issue
that was causing most of the problems in our relationship & that we needed to take action to put a stop to it.
Debbie is very experienced and a great facilitator & adviser. 1000% recommended!